There is something that always the same from years ago until now, that is CHANGE.
*some quote that I found
For each new project, new client, new team, there is always new knowledge, new skill, new understanding, a lot of wow moment.
In my current project, the training session#2 had finished last month, where one of the topic is Change Management. I want to write my perception for this topic, since I feel like, I get more understanding every time I did training evaluation with training participants or discuss it further.
The actual title is Steps Of Change (Langkah-Langkah Perubahan), but I would write it as Action vs Reaction during Change management.
- Action : You need change, you have figuring it out, and you have plan. You start with Socialization. Introducing what type of change needed, the purpose, the impact, the benefit, and maybe the reward/punishment system.
At this step, usually, the reaction as below:
- Awareness – I’m being told something I don’t like
- Denial – No Way!
- Fear – What will happen to me?
- Second action is ensuring the Understanding of this change, meaning your job did not finish with socialization only, you need follow up the socialization process and ensuring the understanding. At this steps, you should get reaction as below:
- Exploration – Let me take alook anyway
- Understanding – I can see why they want to do this
- They start to see it, its time you go further to action 3, get their commitment. Use the benefit of their reaction which is :
- Positive perception
- Continue to action 4, Implementation, take action, do the change now, not later, not tomorrow. This is where you need to ensure your participants get their learning process
- Learning – Let me test it
Test the water, you don’t need to wait and make it perfect.
- Use action 5, do active Communication to get all the information you need to make it better and perfect. At this step, your audience should start to give their opinions when their reaction is :
- Adoption – we have to do it this way
- Your change is running smooth, your participants had level :
- Internalization – This is the way we work here.
The last step you need to do is Monitoring, follow up and evaluate the change. Control and monitor it closely. Is there run smoothly, should you modify it, is everyone understand it?
But how do you do the change?
In training#2, we also teach/showed strategies that could be used to ensure your team change.
- Use enforcement. You have new policy to improve Safety, Health and Environment? This is the best strategy to implement it directly without delay.
- Use regulation. Create the policy, give reward and punishment for compliance and non compliance.
- Give education. There is new process , new unit, new machine. Educate your employees.
- Be a role model. Whatever change you wanna do. You must change first.
In our project we were focus more on behavior change and the change management above is the combination of our client theory with our theory for step change model. Participants (Supervisors up) need to understand that its not enough if its only them that change, but they also must realize that its their responsibility to ensure their team must change too. Change will create reaction, so as superior they must do the correct action.
But you could find many other theories for change management, example John Kotter with his 8 step Change model. The steps are :
- Create Urgency
- Form a powerful coalition
- Create a vision for change
- Communicate the vision
- Remove Obstacles
- Create short term wins
- Build on the change
- Anchor the changes in corporate culture
Use any steps of change management that you feel more suitable for your organization.